Our country was taken by superior force at gunpoint, blood has been spilt on the wattle and this war of attrition against Aboriginal people is continuing.
- Michael Anderson
David Ellery Sydney Morning Herald 10 April 2012
Canberra tent embassy founder, Michael Anderson, wants Aboriginal people from across Australia to use the city's Anzac Day march to protest against the massacres committed during the 'frontier wars'.
"Our country was taken by superior force at gunpoint," he said. "Blood has been spilt on the wattle and this war of attrition against Aboriginal people is continuing."
Mr Anderson said a well supported "Lest We Forget The Frontier Wars March" had joined on behind the Anzac Day March in Canberra last year.
"We received enormous support from the public at the time, now we intend to keep it growing."
He has urged Aborigines who cannot travel to Canberra to stage similar protests at Anzac commemorations in their own home towns and communities.
"We are subject to continued war of attrition, including urban warfare. Our people are dying in custody for crimes white people don't usually go to jail for, minor driving offences."
Mr Anderson, the last of the four men who founded the tent embassy in 1972 still alive, now lives in Goodooga in north western NSW. He is the leader of the Euahlayi people.
He has called on former Aboriginal servicemen to boycott the RSL march and, instead, take their place alongside their own people.
"Those interested in joining us can gather at the lower end of Anzac Parade, Canberra, at 10am for the 11am March on April 25 and carry a banner for one of the wars or massacres that have occurred," he said.
He said Mick Thorpe, the leader of last year's "Frontier Wars" march in Canberra had worn his grandfather's service medals.
The Australian Defence Force honours past and present Aboriginal service personnel at a special ceremony in Canberra every year.